Privacy Notice: Iranseculardemocracy.com
Iranseculardemocracy.com, hereinafter “We”, “us”, “our” or “ISD”, is managed by an informal association of independent academics and activists mainly located in Switzerland.
We take the issue of data protection very seriously and consider the personal data you provide to us under the current circumstances as highly sensitive and are therefore committed to taking measures to protect your personal data in particular from loss or unauthorized access or disclosure.
Your personal data provided to us will be processed in line with this privacy notice (hereinafter “Privacy Notice”):
What type of Personal Data does ISD process and what is the purpose:
We process the following information:
- Personal data such as name, e-mail, phone number or other basic personal data as you submit to us through the contact platform. The personal data will be used only to handle your request accordingly (e.g., for reply or to handle your request accordingly) or in connection with the activity (e.g. Telegram news feed), you have contacted us for. Normally, we use the same means to contact you as you have contacted us or requested us to do so.
- If you contact us via other social media platforms, we may also have access to additional data, such as but not limited to pictures, profile names and your comments.
- ISD strives to ensure anonymity to the extent possible. In some cases, in order to ensure independence and some control, certain payment-related information may be provided to a small number of individuals within our team, when you make a donation for the purpose listed on our website. However, this information will not be shared to third parties and will be strictly treated confidentially as we consider any data you provide, unless told explicitly otherwise by you, as sensitive.
- Please note, we have no control over how your personal data is processed by third-party tools or services that you use or that are linked on our website, e.g. personal data processed and published by making a donation via “gofundme.com”. You can normally choose to be listed with your name/account name or you can also choose your name not to be listed publicly after a donation has been made. The same applies to other third-party service providers such as social media (including but not limited to Telegram or Instagram) or our e-mail service provider. If you subscribe the admin may have access to your Telegram name and information provided in your profile. If you would like to learn more about how third-party service providers process your personal data we refer to their respective privacy policies and notices.
Where is your Personal Data collected from?
With whom do we share your data?
The personal data we process is provided to us directly by you, when you use our tools or third-party tools including social media for the purposes as described above.
We may share certain personal data in our team and only on a need-to-know basis in connection with your request.
Where required, we may need to share your data with third parties, namely but not limited to partners, and service providers depending on your request or in order to process your request submitted to us. Such data will be only shared on a need-to-know basis. Please note, third party service providers such as social media service providers may have access to messages and your personal data when using their services
Our sub-processor and web-email service provider. The service provider may be able to access our inbox in order for example to provide technical services. However, we will take necessary steps to ensure confidentiality, such as but not limited to concluding a Data Processing Agreement (DPA) in order to ensure proper handling.
Your data will not be shared with any further third-parties without your prior consent or based on legal obligation in our jurisdiction.
Legitimate basis for data processing
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the (revised) Swiss Federal Act on Data Protection (FADP), the lawful bases we rely on for processing this information are:
(a) Your free consent: You are able to remove your consent at any time. You can do this by contacting us (see below).
(b) Your personal data may be processed based on a contractual relationship, where applicable.
(c) Your personal data may be processed if a legal obligation applies.
(d) Your personal data may be further processed on the basis of our legitimate interest.
How ISD stores your personal information
Your information is stored securely on the servers of our service provider in Switzerland.
We keep your personal data for the duration of the implementation of the purpose of your request for which you have contacted us. Your data will be deleted after a period of 6 months provided that no legal obligation requires us to keep it for a longer period or there is no overriding legitimate interest to extend such retention for another maximum period of 6 months for the need to contact you in the future or longer based or in relation to your request respectively to fulfil our obligations in line with the services we provide (e.g. news-feed).
Your data protection rights
Under the applicable data protection laws, in particular, the GDPR article 6, as well as the equivalent rights of the revised Swiss Federal Act on Data Protection (FADP) articles 25 et seq., you have the following options:
- Right of access – You have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information.
- Right to erasure – You have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Right to restriction of processing – You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Right to object to processing – You have the right to object to the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Right to rectification – Where applicable, you have the right to ask us to rectify personal information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
- Right to data portability – Where applicable and in certain circumstances, you have the right to ask that we transfer the personal information you gave us to another organization, or to you.
ISD can be contacted via E-Mail as shown below if you want to make use of any of these rights.
How to complain
You can contact us via E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org to make use of your rights or to complain.
You may also lodge a complaint with the competent supervisory authority if you believe that our processing of your personal data violates applicable privacy laws.
Contact details for all EU supervisory authorities can be found at https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en and for Switzerland the website of the Federal Data Protection Commissioner https://www.edoeb.admin.ch/edoeb/en/home/the-fdpic/contact.html.
This Privacy Notice may be updated from time to time to inform you of changes regarding the way we process your information and changes to relevant laws.
Version 2.5; updated: 30.1.2023